Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Cookie Dough Brownie Truffles

Chocolate chip cookie dough + brownie + creamy chocolate glaze + mini chocolate chips = AMAZING!  These truffles are ridiculously delicious and have been dubbed "heavenly balls of goodness" by the lucky taste testers. If you are a cookie dough fan, you need to make these asap.  For those of you concerned with food safety, don't worry because the dough is egg-free and completely safe to eat in it's raw state.  These truffles would be great if they were just cookie dough alone dipped in chocolate, but these are kicked up by wrapping the cookie dough in rich, chewy brownie and then the whole ball of delicious-ness is dipped in chocolate.  Yum!

For such an awesome treat, I am less than pleased with how boring these photos came out. I seem to be finding myself following a trend of quickly snapping a few pictures before the food I make is devoured.  Our friends that witnessed the photographing of these truffles probably thought I was a crazy person to be moving the umbrella around to shade a corner of the deck so I could try to get pictures of these in nice natural light.  If I had planned better I would have done this ahead of time, but having a two month old does not lend itself well to that kind of thing. :)  I suppose I shouldn't think of this dilemma as a bad thing because it means the food was a hit and there is usually nothing left over to photograph later, but I do usually wish that I had set aside more time to stage a better quality photo for the blog. 



Once I have put the time and effort into making food, there is usually little time available to set up a nice photo shoot.  I find this especially common when I make new meals for dinner that I want to share on the blog.  I hardly ever take the time to snap any pictures at all because we are hungry and excited to get eating!  This is definitely something I need to plan accordingly for because I am hoping to get back into a more regular posting schedule again.  I kind of ended up on a tangent here, but what I meant to say was, the pictures do not do these babies justice!  You seriously need to try these truffles. To borrow my husband's description, as I think it fits them best: "these are intense!"

Cookie Dough Brownie Truffles

3/4 cup softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups mini-chocolate chips, divided
9x13 pan of prepared brownies (box mix or homemade)
16 oz chocolate or chocolate bark, melted

In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add the milk, vanilla, and salt and mix until combined.  Stir in the flour until a stiff dough forms that can be rolled into balls. You might need slightly more or less flour.  Add 1 cup of the chocolate chips and mix well.  Form 1" balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.  Place the dough balls in the freezer for about 30 minutes until very firm.  Cut the crusty edges off of your prepared, cooled brownies (mmm snack time!) and cut the rest into 1" to 1 1/2" squares.  Press the brownies into flat discs and wrap around the cookie dough balls.  You can pretty easily smoosh the brownie around the cookie dough to cover it evenly.  Place these back in the freezer for another 30 minutes.  If you are using regular chocolate, you should temper it so that it will set on the truffles.  There is lots of information online that can teach you how to temper.  If you are using chocolate bark (sometimes called fake chocolate, almond bark, or candy melts) you can just melt that as is.  Dip each truffle in the melted chocolate and use a fork to help you shake off the excess chocolate.  Place the truffle back on the baking sheet and top with mini chocolate chips.  The truffles should set up at room temperature, but I chilled mine because it was a hot day and I thought they would taste better cool.  If you have any left over (haha!) store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.   

Enjoy!

Inspired by The Domestic Rebel

1 comment: