Pages

Sunday, November 16, 2014

Beef Ramen Noodle Soup

















This ramen soup has that really delicious savory umami flavor that warms you through completely.  It is salty and lightly spicy and just a touch sweet with great layers of flavors and textures.  The carrots, onions, and celery are sweet and tender while the green onions are crisp and fresh.  The beef is perfectly seasoned which melts right off into the rich, smooth broth.  I personally didn't feel the egg added a lot flavor wise but it was a nice contrasting texture.  If you are a soft or even hard boiled egg person, you will definitely like having the egg, but I could go without it next time.  The soup is very filling but it is light and refreshing at the same time.  This is quickly becoming a favorite in our house, especially because it is easy to change up the protein and seasonings each time.   Sorry for the very short post this time.  Hopefully I will be feeling more inspired soon.  I made a really awesome rustic apple tart yesterday for a family dinner. So be on the look out for that coming soon!



Beef Ramen Noodle Soup

2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley, divided
3 cups beef stock
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
5 tbsp soy sauce
1-2 tsp sriracha
3 packages Ramen noodles, seasoning packet discarded
4 green onions, chopped
Sliced steak, recipe below
Soft boiled eggs, recipe below
Salt & Pepper, to taste

  Heat the olive oil in dutch oven or other large soup pot over medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are getting soft and the onions are translucent.  Add the garlic and parsley and cook for another minute.  Add the beef stock, chicken stock, water, soy sauce, and sriracha.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.  Bring the soup to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer for 10-12 minutes.  Add the Ramen noodles and cook for 3 minutes.  Serve the soup in bowl and top with green onions, remaining parsley, slices of steak, and soft boiled egg.

Steak Recipe:
Season steak with a mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and a tiny bit of ginger powder.  You can really use any blend of seasoning that you like to your tastes.  We used really thin cut (approx 1/2") steaks and just seared in a skillet for a couple minutes on each side and then sliced thinly on a bias.  You could substitute the beef for chicken breast, pork loin, sausage, tofu, etc.

Soft Boiled Egg Recipe:
Bring 1/2" of water to a boil in a small saucepan.  Add as many eggs as you desire, cover, and cook for 6 1/2 minutes exactly.  Run cold water over the eggs until you can handle them, then peel, and cut to serve.  

Inspired by Tasty Kitchen and America's Test Kitchen


50 comments:

  1. This ramen looks so good! It's cold and rainy here in DC, so I could use a big bowl of this for lunch! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This would be the perfect cold rainy day lunch!

      Delete
  2. This grabbed my eye. Stormy day here - complete with tornado warnings. I will be making this, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ella. I hope the tornados don't happen! Enjoy the soup

      Delete
  3. This soup looks soooooo good! But too bad Ramen noodles are 100% unhealthy otherwise I would make this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ramen noodles themselves aren't as unhealthy as the little flavoring packets make them. This recipe discards those packets, so it is a little bit better. You could use any other kind of noodle (rice noodles, gluten free noodles, etc) that you like :)

      Delete
    2. I used gluten free forbidden noodles.. they were perfect..
      I have made authentic Ramen as well with these noodles and it was really good. But take 2 days to make.

      Delete
    3. They now have organic ramen noodles in Coscto. Yummy

      Delete
  4. OMG!!! The first ramen recipe I've tried and the only one I'll make! It's absolutely delicious, and plenty for leftovers too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this a few days ago, and I can tell you it is the BEST soup I have ever made! We loved it so much that I made it 2 days in a row! Thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many people is this recipe for? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ive looked at loads of Ramen recipe but this one caught my eye. Made it 3 times in a week! Ive added coriander and 5 spice to the stock and 5 spice to the meat. Used rib eye tonight and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious! I will have to give the 5 spice a try next time.

      Delete
  8. How well does this ramen re-heat? I'm thinking of making this for my lunches this week, and I would love to be able to just throw it in a mason jar and nuke it at work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reheats ok but the noodles do soak up a lot of the broth as they sit. You could try making the soup without the noodles and then heat it up really hot, pour it over the dry noodles and let it sit for about 5 mins before eating. I haven't tried that method but it might work well.

      Delete
    2. It reheats ok but the noodles do soak up a lot of the broth as they sit. You could try making the soup without the noodles and then heat it up really hot, pour it over the dry noodles and let it sit for about 5 mins before eating. I haven't tried that method but it might work well.

      Delete
    3. I'll try it and let you know! Thanks for the idea!

      Delete
    4. It reheats ok but the noodles do soak up a lot of the broth as they sit. You could try making the soup without the noodles and then heat it up really hot, pour it over the dry noodles and let it sit for about 5 mins before eating. I haven't tried that method but it might work well.

      Delete
  9. Instead of the prepackaged ramen,I use udon noodles. They come bundled in 3 inside the package and 1 bundle is more than enough for 2 servings. Much healthier than the fried ramen noodles. I also added 1/2 package of fresh spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. I cooked the steak in a pan on the stove top, just by searing a few minutes on each side over medium high heat. You can really prepare it however you like.

      Delete
  11. How many servings does this provide? Looking to have enough for 4-5 people

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm excited to make this tomorrow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice and easy to prepare. Thx

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I use fresh ramen noodles instead of the packaged kind how much should I use?

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks really good! I always like to make my own soup and only start about 2 years ago, I just actually got my first recipe book from http://www.wowfreestuff.co.uk/free-soup-recipe-book/ on my kindle, and they just have some fab recipes, I will try and make the beek ramen soup, will let you know how I got on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe is so flavorful as well as versatile. I don't always make it exactly as the recipe says; I usually have a variety of stock, produce, and meat scraps left over from my side gig as a personal chef. Every time I make this, no matter the scraps I use, it always comes out fantastic. Thank you for sharing this gem!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I want to make this for dinner, but I'm serving for like 8-9 people, what changes do I need to make to suit that amount of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As is this probably makes about 4 servings. I would either double or triple depending on if you have other food too or if this is the main dish. Hope that helps

      Delete
  18. I just stumbled on this recipe. It is awesome. Made it last night with a few tweaks! I used brown rice ramen noodles I got from Costco, they are a healthier option, taste great and cook just as easily. I also added a tbsp of fresh ginger, some diced mushrooms, and red bell pepper. For an added kick I topped it off with some red pepper flakes when I serveds it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing, I love hearing how people make a recipe into their own. I will have to look for those noodles - I haven't seen them before!

      Delete
  19. Take this recipe and get rid of the parsley and throw in some cilantro at the end. Garnish it with a lime wedge, red pepper flakes and white sugar for authentic Thai flavor! Do not skip out on the sugar, it's how the little Thai lady that cooked me soup across the street from my bungalow showed me how to do it and it was a world changer! This flavor is amazing though, you nailed the base and gave me the first recipe since I left Thailand that made me nostalgic and happy! Will definitely make again.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I never comment on recipe blogs but this is the best ramen recipe. I just made it with pepper flakes instead of Sriracha and it warmed me up on this cold evening. I think this is pretty close to my ex's recipe, so I'm glad I found this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice...This Recipe was really good. Thanks for sharing wonderful recipe.
    Soup Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great article. It was recommended to my by a friend and I am very grateful. Organic farm products in Pennsylvania

    ReplyDelete
  23. tried this last night, great recipe and very delicious, will try with instant noodles next time, made it with proper ramen noodles and was a bit heavy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made this tonight for my family! Husband says this has to be a weekly dinner. Thank you so much for sharing. It was very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Banging! I made it with cabbage and it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am delighted to come to such a wonderful blog. I am really very impressed to read from top to bottom. I read every single line and understand the essence of every single word. I appreciate all efforts. Japanese noodle in St Paul

    ReplyDelete
  27. Seared my steak in the pot before sautéing veggies to get that extra flavor. Great recipe! Added some baby bok choy and a bit of fish sauce. SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Does anyone know how many calories are in a serving?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cooking this right now at 11 am used ginger and I didn't have fresh carrots and celery so I used half a can of mixed veggies. About to throw the noodles in now and I'm using left over ribs from last night as my meat with teriyaki sauce perfect pairing match with what I have wow the broth is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I made this back in November on a very chilly, rainy evening. It really hit the spot. It got rave reviews so I am making it again tonight.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. this recipe looks amazing! I was just wondering how many peeple this recipe serves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! For our family this recipe serves 2 adults and 2 children with a small amount of leftovers

      Delete
  32. Please dont ever delete this recipe I use it ALL THE TIME

    ReplyDelete