Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Kettle Corn



I wish I had known that homemade kettle corn was so simple. I knew it was just a few basic ingredients but I thought the process was more difficult than it really turned out to be.  K bought one of those Whirly Pop stove top poppers a few years ago because we read an article about all the bad stuff in microwave popcorn. However when I was pregnant with our daughter I had a craving for kettle corn for several weeks so I bought a box of the microwave stuff. I should have looked up a recipe for the homemade version sooner because it was 1000 times better, tasted just like the extraordinarly overpriced yummy bags of kettle corn you can buy at the local fairs.  Speaking of pregnancy cravings, I haven't had time to blog for awhile  (again) because we recently welcomed our second baby into our family.  Aurora was born September 1 weighing 7lbs 10 oz. We absolutely love her and little K is doing a great job adjusting to being a big brother.  Popcorn is one of little K's favorite snacks so I decided to make us a special treat today while Aurora napped. I was pleasantly surprised that it only took about 3 minutes to pop the corn, just as long as it takes to microwave a bag. The kettle corn was so delicious, sweet and crunchy but also salty and buttery just like kettle corn should be. You could probably make this recipe in a regular nonstick pot, just be sure to shake it around the whole time so the popcorn pops evenly.  I hope you give this recipe a try soon!




Homemade Kettle Corn
1/2 cup corn kernels
1 tsp oil
3 tbsp white sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
Salt to taste

Place corn and oil into the pot or Whirly Pop and cook over medium heat.  When the oil starts to sizzle add the sugar and mix well.  Stir or shake the corn constantly until you hear the corn stop popping.  Immediately pour the popcorn into a bowl and toss with butter, vanilla and salt. Best if served immediately, while warm.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment